Sunday, July 02, 2006

TextMate Withdrawal; jEdit to the Rescue

Since my powerbook crapped out on me (long story to be continued), I've been going through TextMate/MacOS withdrawal. But thanks to some nifty plug-ins for jEdit, and some very helpful tutorials, I'm finding a workable interim 'fix' on Windows and Ubuntu.

In fact, there are some nice features like pop-up code-completion with context sensitive rdoc (including Rails docs) that I'd like to see in TextMate.

If you're on Windows or *nix - or you don't have the moolah for TM - then it might be worth a look.
Drop me a comment if you know of any other useful tips or plug-ins for jEdit. I'm not too happy with the default syntax color scheme.

Full screenshot of jEdit and context sensitive rdoc (click for full view)


link to jedit screenshot

[UPDATE]
I'm having a few problems getting some things to work. Please let me know if you know how to:
  • run script/console or irb inside the Console. It just sits and spins when I run anything that takes input.
  • hook up to Subversion.
  • get tabbed views for file buffers instead of the buffer dropdown.
    [I got this working with the BufferTabs plug-in]
  • get class and method folding to work.
    [This just required setting Utilities > Global Options > Editing > Folding Mode to Sidekick]

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Victor, thanks for your positive words about the jEdit Ruby Editor Plugin. A new 0.8 release should be coming out soon, fixing some autocompletion bugs.

3:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Victor, found this post via http://www.technorati.com/search/http://synthesis.sbecker.net?cc=twtscqy9mi.

Thought I would share some jEdit macros I whipped up based on a TextMate feature that I had to have. It's just a nicety but coding feels much more solid to me now if I can do stuff like insert two quotes and have the cursor appear between them. The way I did it, this doesn't happen if you just insert a normal quote (or opening parenthesis, etc.), you have to bind each macro to something. For example, I have the macro to insert "|" bound to CS-', [|] bound to C-[, and so on.

You can find them here.

I would release them to jEdit's official macro site, but I have the feeling that a proper plugin for this kind of thing would do much better, and might even be able to intelligently match quotes/brackets that you type without your having to tell it to. Anyway hope these come in handy.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there!
Did you find any solution to this:
"run script/console or irb inside the Console. It just sits and spins when I run anything that takes input."
It does the same for me and i can't figure out why.

thx in advance.

3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home